Installing Firefox-3.5.x on Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope
Doing this upgrade you will not lose any bookmarks or settings from your current browser. But backup just in case. Now follow the steps below:
* Download the Firefox 3.5.x.tar.bz2 file.
* Extract the archive:
$ tar -xvf firefox-3.5.x.tar.bz2
* Rename the newly created directory “firefox” to “firefox-3.5.x”
* Copy the directory “firefox-3.5.x” into /usr/lib
$ sudo cp -r firefox-3.5.x/ /usr/lib/
* Create a soft link named firefox to the file /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.x/firefox and put it into the /usr/bin directory. But before that rename the existing link called firefox in the /usr/bin directory to firefox.OLD
$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/firefox-3.5.x/firefox /usr/bin/firefox
All done. Now restart with Firefox 3.5.x.
You can use Firefox’s built in Check for Updates function, however, this only works when you run Firefox as root.
* Open a terminal and type:
$ gksudo firefox &
* This will launch Firefox and the Check for Updates option under the Help menu will be active;
* Choose the option, Firefox will check and install any updates. Close and restart Firefox.